Sunday, January 11, 2009

A visit to Aunty J.

Today, my family paid a visit to my mom's friend Aunty J. She was over at her uncle's house as his house was undergoing some major renovations, just to make it more elder-friendly. Aunty J's uncle is at his late 60's and is currently hospitalised. Upon his discharge, he will be going back to stay at his own house. However, he will still have difficulty with movement. Right now, he is unable to climb up the stairs to his bedroom.

The house was about 40 years old now and was quite dusty , partly due to the massive renovations taking place. My first impression was that the house had indeed seen better days. As I climbed up to the second floor, I noticed piles and piles of books stacked neatly in one room, almost filling it completely. The toilet was stained with brown and black foot marks, water continuously flowing down a tube and into a sandy bathtub.

I was then greeted by Aunty J's aunt, also in her mid-60's. She wore a warm smile on her face and led me to the veranda, walking slowly with her back hunched. There she sat down on an antique chair and as I presumed, having tea. I remembered that there was a charred toaster and a kettle( the toaster was still working). Later on I learned that Aunty J's uncle and aunt used to grow many fruit trees but now, all that remained was a lonely mango tree which hasn't bore any fruit!

In the end we bade farewell. I hoped to visit them again soon-when the renovation is done.

From this visit, I realise that it is important for family members to be more aware of how the environment can have an impact on the older person's mobility and freedom; especially to older folks who are at death's door. Most of all, we should be more sensitive towards their everyday needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment